800-348-5194 (Toll Free in WY)

Q: What are some simple, quick-return action steps I can take to market my business to the government?

Jun 15, 2009

One of the most common questions I get as a Procurement Counselor is how to conduct some simple yet effective marketing to the government. It is important that contracting officers and purchasing agents know about your company and the products or services you provide. This way, when they have the need, they will be able to contact you. Here are four quick ways to achieve this.


The first thing you want to do is get your mandatory registrations completed. This process begins with calling Dun & Bradstreet at 866-705-5711 to get your Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number and then completing the Central Contractor Registration (CCR) at In addition, you will need to complete the SBA Profile accessible only at the end of the CCR. These registrations will make your business searchable by product, services, NAICS codes or region. Also, complete the Online Representations and Certifications Application (ORCA) at so they can pay you after you have completed the contract.


Next, you will want to create a government specific business card. This card will have your DUNS number as well as your contact information. Additionally, it should tell the contracting officer that you have your CCR updated and that your ORCA is complete. Distribute this card to the person responsible for procurement in every government office. How do you find them? Call and ask, they are happy to hear from you.


Once you have this card, take the next step and convert it to an e-business card that you can email to contracting officers. This is especially important for offices that coordinate a large volume of products and services like the 90th Contracting Squadron at F.E. Warren AFB. When someone contacts them to find a provider of a product or service, they search their immediate resources saved on their desktops first. You want to be one of those resources.


Finally, do your best to show up at conferences, expos and other events where the contracting officers are likely to be. We all go there to work and their work is to find product and service providers. You can contact your local Small Business Development Center ( or Procurement Technical Assistance Center ( to find out about these events.


Justin Hansen


Please add your bio info through your member profile page, or through your dashboard.

Please add a comment

Leave a Reply

(Your email will not be publicly displayed.)

Captcha Code

Click the image to see another captcha.