800-348-5194 (Toll Free in WY)

Using the Bucking Horse & Rider Motif on Products

Apr 01, 2013

This post was written by Greg Jordan, Associate State Director, Wyoming Entrepreneur, Small Business Development Center. GregJordanWeb_TCB7861


We often get questions bout using the bucking horse and rider (BH&R) on merchandise. Steamboat, officially named the bucking horse and rider (BH&R), is indeed on products all across the state of Wyoming and the nation.  You can find it on everything from t-shirts to hitch covers; it’s even on the state quarter.  What many people don’t know is that the BH&R is trademarked by the state of Wyoming and has been since 1936.  It was originally worn by WWI soldiers from the Wyoming National Guard in France and Germany. 


Just because it is licensed doesn’t mean you can’t use the BH&R.  The University of Wyoming trademark and licensing office administers the BH&R licensing for the state.  They can help retailers find suppliers, and even help you with merchandising ideas.  For manufacturers, they can help you with the licensing process share information about your product to retailers. There is a charge for using the BH&R but compared to licensing fees for other logos around the country, it is very reasonable. Besides, there is a reason you see the BH&R on everything.  As one retailer was heard to say “If you put the Bucking Horse and Rider on just about anything, it will sell.”


Many organizations around the state want to show their Wyoming pride on their signs, letterheads and business cards.  They only need to fill out a business use agreement and if it is approved there is no charge. 


The people at the Wyoming Trademark and Licensing office are a great resource for helping get a product licensed to sell with the BH&R.  You can find more information on their website  And the advisors at your local Wyoming Entrepreneur can help you get your business ready for the growth in sales you are sure to get when you sell officially licensed Wyoming merchandise.

Category: Marketing

Gregory Jordan

Please add a comment

Posted by Gypsy Cowbelle (a.k.a. Miss "V") on
Hello - I am an independent recording artist from Wyoming and have recorded a song about Steamboat, which will be on my upcoming CD. I was wondering about including the logo in the liner notes, along side the words to the song. It will not be used in any way to market the CD, but the CD will be available for retail sales. Just wondering if this is a possibility, what kind of licensing I would need and what kind of remuneration would be involved. Thanks so much!
Leave a Reply

(Your email will not be publicly displayed.)

Captcha Code

Click the image to see another captcha.