800-348-5194 (Toll Free in WY)

Completing Government Contracting Registrations



Download The PTAC Checklist for Completing Government Contracting Registrations


Step One: Obtain a DUNS Number

Dun & Bradstreet (D&B) provides a free, unique, 9-digit identification number for each physical location of your business. Call 1-866-705-5711 to obtain a number or to check to see if you already have a number. A DUNS number is free; you do not need any of the services D&B offers for a fee for government contracting.


Step Two: Register in SAM and receive a CAGE Code

SAM is the System for Award Management – a database in which all entities that wish to do business with the federal government must register. It replaced the Central Contractor Registration (CCR) system in the summer of 2012 and now incorporates other systems like the Online Certifications and Representations Application (ORCA). Once a SAM registration is completed, your business will be assigned a CAGE Code (if you don't already have one from a past CCR registration). Most importantly for business owners is the fact that you cannot be paid for contract work without a SAM registration.   


Step Three: Complete an SBA Profile for the DSBS

The Dynamic Small Business Search is a database that is searchable for contracting officers and members of the general public alike. It builds on information included in your SAM registration. Businesses can enter a capabilities statement, keywords, and references to help market your business. Also, unlike SAM, this database is only for small businesses.


The PTAC team provides free assistance to Wyoming firms during every step of the government contracting registration process. Contact the PTAC team to schedule your appointment today!


Government Procurement Consulting:

Program Central Contact Information
Email Wyoming PTAC

Rich Lyles

Program Manager
300 South Wolcott, Suite 300
Casper, Wyoming 82601
Email Rich


Andi Lewis

Procurement Specialist

1400 E. College Dr.

Cheyenne, WY  82007


Email Andi