If you had high expectations for your business website but it seems to be underperforming, you made need to take an in-depth look at some behind-the-scene sections of your online presence. Whether you created a website on your own or worked with a web developer, understanding how well your site works can be difficult. To have a successful web presence, you need to combine the technical details with the latest marketing and design trends.
Technology is always changing, so it’s a good idea to regularly audit your website to make sure it matches the latest consumer trends, is optimize for highest placement through search engines and meets accessibility standards. Things like slow loading times, dead links and a hard-to-navigate interface can all turn potential customers away. Even the visual design of your website could give visitors a bad impression.
To make sure your online presence is best-suited to meet your business’ needs, you should look at your website’s branding and marketing strategy as well as the following:
- Overall Performance– How fast does your page load and is it compatible with the latest online tools? There are many factors that can slow your website down, so it’s important to identify them and come up with a plan to fix them.
- Security– Cyber-threats are evolving every day. It’s especially important to regularly make sure your website protects you and your customers from scams and data breaches.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)– Making sure your titles, headings and descriptions are optimized to complement the latest search engine algorithms is key when it comes to getting higher placement and more traffic through websites like Google.
- Mobile Optimization– More and more consumers are using mobile devices to access the internet. Make sure your website still looks professional and is easy to navigate for mobile visitors.
- Accessibility– Some visitors may have a hard time accessing your website if it is not set up to accommodate those with visual, auditory and other impairments. Make sure your website is easy to navigate for all of your customers.
The Wyoming Small Business Development Center Network can assist you with a complete analysis of your website, telling you in straight-forward, non-technical terms what works and where you can improve your site. Contact any one of our regional offices by visiting WyomingSBDC.org. Our business advisors can also offer you a wide-range of free and confidential services to help your business succeed both on and off the internet.
Additionally, if you work with a web developer, it can be difficult to know what questions to ask. Our guide to Finding a Web Developer will help. Combined with a web optimization report, it gives you the tools you need to work with your web developer to create the best possible website.
About the Author:
Jake Dixon is the statewide Marketing & Communications Specialist for the Wyoming Small Business Development Center Network. Jake received his bachelor’s degree in Advertising and Public Relations from Idaho State University (ISU). He spent 12 years working in television news before crossing to the other side of media as Director of Public Relations for ISU’s health care programs—which make up one third of the university. Jake’s background has also given him valuable experience with all aspects of social media management, graphic design and video production.
When he’s not in the office:
Jake enjoys taking road trips with his wife, catching the latest movies and spending time working in the garage, garden or on household projects.