Federal, state, and local governments spend millions of dollars every year to purchase products and services from small businesses in Wyoming. Many entrepreneurs aren’t taking advantage of this potential market which is constantly on the lookout for food, clothing, construction services, and much more. An upcoming event in Wyoming is the best chance of the year in our state to learn everything there is to know about government contracting.
This year’s annual GRO-Biz Conference takes place in Cheyenne on March 25, 2020 and promises to deliver a robust offering of matchmaking, networking, and learning opportunities for Wyoming’s small businesses.
Why Should You Attend?
Whether you are new to the idea of selling your goods or services to the government or you have been working in contracting for years, here’s a quick look at why you should attend:
Reason #1: Meet your Reps
A vital part of selling to the government is getting to know the agencies in your area and the contracting staff who work for them. Federal, state, and local procurement representatives from all over our region will be on hand to speak with you face-to-face about government contracting opportunities for your small business. This is your BEST chance this year to make these connections and get all of your questions answered.
Reason #2: Learning Opportunities
There will be multiple sessions to choose from, with some topics focused on the basics of government contracting and others covering issues more relevant to those who have experience or want to dive deeper into specific topics. You can mix-and-match a schedule that is the best fit for you.
Reason #3: Powerful Networking
The GRO-Biz Conference prioritizes not only face-to-face meetings with procurement representatives, but is also an opportunity to meet with other small business owners, experts from multiple business resource organizations, and dignitaries from local, state, and regional governments.
How Can I Prepare?
Now that you know WHY you should be there, here are some practical ways to prepare to get the most out of this year’s conference:
TIP: Do Your Homework
- Do a little detective work into which agencies might be interested in your goods or services.
- Once you’ve identified some potential customers, get to know them. What is their mission? What are their goals?
- Explore the bids and past projects they have put out to get an idea of what their needs are — then prepare some solutions!
- Find any available forecasts that outline the agency’s procurement goals for the year.
TIP: Create Your Marketing Materials
- Present yourself as a professional by coming to the conference with quality business cards — if you have a Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number and a Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) code, include them.
- Have a professional website ready.
- Bring a capability statement.
Help is Available
If this sounds a bit overwhelming, it’s not! Advisors from the Wyoming Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) and the Wyoming Small Business Development Center (SBDC) Network are here to help you prepare. Here are some ways we can support you:
- Research assistance
- Review of marketing materials, website, and social media
- Assistance with creating a powerful capability statement
- Help getting a DUNS number and registering in the System for Award Management (SAM)
- And more!
To learn more or to register for this year’s GRO-Biz Conference, visit WyomingSBDC.org/grobiz. Unlike in the past, this year’s event will focus solely on government contracting. We hope you’ll join us!